By Alden L. Benton
By all accounts and polls, Texas Governor Rick Perry’s presidential campaign is in serious trouble. This is unfortunate. He will be an excellent president.
Governor Perry’s chief rival at this stage of the campaign is Mitt Romney. I have serious reservations about both Romney’s record and philosophy on the role of government. Put simply, Romney is a big government Republican and, based on his support of the failing Romneycare, he is what is known as a R.I.N.O. — Republican in Name Only.
Romney is cut from the same cloth as Senator John McCain. If the Republican Party truly wants to oust President Obama in 2012, Romney will fare no better than McCain did in 2008.
However, I digress.
The problem I see with Governor Perry, and all of the Republican candidates, is if they have a plan, they are not articulating it clearly. In addition, they all have failed to acknowledge that the enemy is Barack Obama and his policies, not the policies of their Republican adversaries.
So how can Governor Perry salvage his faltering campaign? It is easier than one might imagine.
Perry must tell us what he will do when we elect him president. Give us a simple, straight forward plan. In plain, clear Texan, give us the facts.
Here is the plan I recommend to restore the health and wealth of the United States of America:
- Eliminate the current tax code and replace it with a flat tax (Read The Flat Tax by Robert E. Hall and Alvin Rabushka available in PDF here: Hoover Institution).
- Push for the adoption of a sound Balanced Budget Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
- Eliminate and/or rein in excessive regulations and regulatory agencies that kill the economy like the EPA and NLRB, and hundreds more.
- Eliminate, by Executive Order if necessary, entire government departments, starting with the Department of Education, and drastically reduce others (Go to www.downsizinggovernment.org for information on cutting the federal behemoth down to size).
- Repeal Obamacare in its entirety as well as onerous legislation like Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX Summary), Dodd-Frank Act (Dodd-Frank Act Summary), and a plethora of others.
- Leave the necessary discussions about entitlement reform until the Republican Party controls the Congress and the White House. Any discussion before then is pointless and distracting.
For decades, with a few exceptions, the United States has spent more than it collects. The Democratic Party and its allies believe this is because taxes are too low. It’s a revenue problem, they say. In reality, a place most Democrats refuse to visit, we have a spending problem.
Ronald Reagan once said:
“No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we’ll ever see on
Job one of the next president is to profoundly reduce the size, cost, and scope of the federal government. The plan outlined above accomplishes this and alters the Washington reality of which President Reagan spoke.
Implementation of this plan will create an environment where entrepreneurs can create jobs.
When the economy is good, everyone, from top to bottom, prospers.
When the economy is sound and government is small, we have little or no need to borrow money.
When the economy is strong spending on necessary costs, such as defense, consumes a smaller percentage of the gross domestic product.
When the economy is strong, and tax rates low, more revenue is generated.
Finally, we must take heed of, and implement, the wisdom in these words of Thomas Jefferson:
“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
“The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.”
This platform will rebuild America.
This platform will defeat Barack Obama.
This platform will usher in a new era for America, one led by those who promote and follow it.
Will that be you, Governor Perry?
If you want to learn more about Governor Perry than the media or the debates are telling you, read his book: “Fed Up! Our Fight to Save America from Washington.” This book is available in most public libraries or from Amazon.
©2011 Alden L. Benton/Independence Creek Enterprises
If you want to reuse this material, please follow this link to obtain copyright permission: aldenbenton.icopyright.com